Though it was first settled in 1877, Eucla has been a vital part of WA’s history, seeing explorers such as the immortal Edward John Eyre who first crossed Australia from east to west and the pioneer Muir Brothers.
It was only 33 short years after Samuel Morse in 1844 gave his great gift of the “electric telegraph” to the world that Australia with its previously unconquerable vast open spaces became part of the great international telegraph system.
Eucla hence became a vital key in the chain of relay stations across Australia.
Built and opened in 1877, Eucla Telegraph Station became a vital key in the chain of relay stations stretching from Esperance Western Australia to Port Augusta in South Australia.
Eucla at its peak, had a large population of 70 people, 4 streets, several sandstone and wooden buildings, a long jetty and of course the telegraph station.